skip to Main Content
Back To Top
I am Ross Montgomery and I write weird and wonderful books for children, published by the lovely people at Faber & Faber.
I started writing while working as a primary school teacher. My debut ALEX, THE DOG & THE UNOPENABLE DOOR (2013) was nominated for the Costa Children’s Book of the Year and the Branford Boase Award, and selected as one of The Sunday Times “Top 100 Modern Children’s Classics”. The follow-up THE TORNADO CHASERS (2014) was chosen for the nationwide Booktrust BookBuzz scheme, and my third book PERIJEE & ME (2016) was nominated for the CILIP Carnegie Award.
I also write picture books for younger children, illustrated by David Litchfield. Our first collaboration THE BUILDING BOY (2016) was published to critical acclaim and sold around the world. The follow-up, SPACE TORTOISE, is due for publication in May 2018.
I tour the country all year round doing festivals, public readings, school visits and creative writing workshops: anything from tiny book groups to whole auditoriums! Check out Schools and Events for more info on what’s coming up.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me via the contact section of this site. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram via @mossmontmomery if you want to see pictures of my cat or explore my opinions on the weather.
- I live in London with my girlfriend, a cat called Fun Bobby, and a cactus on every available surface.
- I once fainted in front of the Queen. I doubt she remembers it, but I certainly do.
- I get most of my ideas while falling asleep on public transport.
- I have weird thumbs.
- I’ve been writing stories since I was at primary school.
- If you look through my pockets you’ll find empty crisp packets, lists of things to do, and that stuff you put on your nails to stop you biting them.
- My writing heroes are Terry Pratchett and Jacqueline Wilson.