I’m Ross Montgomery, and I write weird and wonderful books for children.
I published my first book while working as a primary school teacher! My debut ALEX, THE DOG & THE UNOPENABLE DOOR (2013) was nominated for the Costa Children’s Book of the Year and the Branford Boase Award, and selected as one of The Sunday Times “Top 100 Modern Children’s Classics”.
The follow-up THE TORNADO CHASERS (2014) was chosen for the nationwide Booktrust BookBuzz scheme, and my third book PERIJEE & ME (2016) was nominated for the CILIP Carnegie Award and won the Weald Book Award.
After that came CHRISTMAS DINNER OF SOULS (2017), a collection of gruesome and terrifying festive horror stories, and MAX AND THE MILLIONS (2018), which was nominated for the CILIP Carnegie Award. I also wrote two short chapter books: THE FINNEY ISLAND FILES (2019), published by Rising Stars, and ROCK BOTTOM: A MIDSUMMER NIGHTMARE (2020) published by Barrington Stoke!
My latest book, THE MIDNIGHT GUARDIANS (2020) has been selected as the Waterstones Children’s Book of the Month!
I also write picture books for younger children. My first collaboration with David Litchfield, THE BUILDING BOY (2016) was published to critical acclaim and sold around the world. The follow-up, SPACE TORTOISE (2018), was nominated for the Kate Greenaway Award and included in Guardians Best New Children’s Books 2018. I have two picture books out with Walker Books in 2021 and 2022 – keep your eyes peeled for news on them!
I’ve spent the last five years touring the country doing festivals, public readings, school visits and creative writing workshops: anything from tiny book groups to whole auditoriums! I can also do virtual visits to your school or class bubble: check out my School Visits page for more information on what I do in my workshops.
If you have any questions, feel free to email me via the contact section of this site. You can also follow me on Facebook, Twitter and Instagram via @mossmontmomery if you want to see pictures of my cat or explore my opinions on the weather.
- I live in London with my girlfriend, a cat called Fun Bobby, and a cactus on every available surface.
- I once fainted in front of the Queen. I doubt she remembers it, but I certainly do.
- I get most of my ideas while falling asleep on public transport.
- I have weird thumbs.
- I’ve been writing stories since I was at primary school.
- If you look through my pockets you’ll find empty crisp packets, lists of things to do, and that stuff you put on your nails to stop you biting them.
- My writing heroes are Terry Pratchett and Jacqueline Wilson.